Saturday, February 21, 2009

Stephen Fry, the Thirties, and an Empty Living Room.



If you don't know me Very well you may be dumb to the fact that I Adore Stephen Fry. I quite like Hugh Laurie as well, of course, but for some reason, Stephen is the one I am most in love with. It's like how out of the Flight of the Conchords, I prefer Jemaine. It's just my natural, instinctual inclination. I could be all wrong. Maybe in real life, I'd fall in love with Bret and Hugh. Who can say? I ramble.

I am viewing "Bright Young Things" which is an adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's novel, "Vile Bodies." Stephen Fry wrote the screenplay and directed and I must say I am enjoying it. I always enjoy well-written, wealthy, frivolous, made-up, well-dressed English people smoking and drinking and quick-stepping and tragically spoiling their lives and so on and so forth.

Jim Broadbent plays the drunken, infuriatingly incompetent, dastardly major and does his usual lovely job. Stephen Campbell Moore plays the hardworking, well-intentioned writer (Adam) with terrible luck who Only wants to get money so he can marry his girl, Nina (Emily Mortimer). Oh and Peter O' Toole and Stockard Channing have small roles, of course.



I've only read one Evelyn Waugh, that being the short novel, "The Loved One." I really enjoyed it back in high school and I think I'd probably enjoy it even more now. Anyway, I'm inspired to read even more now.

Hmmmm. What just happened?? This is getting depressing. Oh Waugh. Waugh Waaaaaaugh.

1 comment:

Kelsy said...

I think Stephen Fry really is the funniest part of Fry and Laurie. He plays such a good straight man. And a good crazy man come to think of it. I'm just charmed by him. Love.