Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I came home for a nap...

...which turned into lying in bed with popcorn whilst viewing the classic 1993 film, Heart and Souls. Does anyone remember this one? As a kid, it was one of my favorite movies (I was probably a sucker for romance before I could walk...). The movie stars Robert Downey Jr., Elizabeth Shue and a bunch of other people I'm not as familiar with, but they're pretty famous actors. It seems to me that although ghosts, spirits and vague allusions to Christianity and the afterlife reappear in film a lot, the romance/ghost film had a bit of a heyday in the 80s and early 90s.


This movie is SO ridiculous and yet....and yet....I admit, a part of me still loves the schmaltzy ridiculous romance. I was pondering this just now: does being exposed to things make you who you are, or is it how you react to those things? I suppose it's a dumb question and the answer is both. I've just always loved romance. Not that I'll go see your average 2000s rom-com. I think that this movie still gets me because a) it's nostalgic, b) the story is cheesy but at least the silly ghosts' unfinished business plot is enough for the mind to play with so that we're not tied up in some more cliche romantic storyline and c) it's Robert freaking Downey Jr.

2 comments:

Kelsy said...

I was forced to watch this a couple Thanksgivings ago, but ended up enjoying it, mostly because of the RDJ. Love him, despite the cheesiness of this movie. Also, Kyra Sedgwick is in this movie, I think? Ridiculous.

Margaux said...

Yes, she is! haha And so is Alfre Woodard.