Monday, March 10, 2008

Tamara De Lempicka, Dorothy Parker, Katharine Hepburn and other loves

I am a snob, really.  I admit it.  I am slightly heartbroken over the widespread college and high school girl obsession and marketability for Audrey Hepburn over the last five or ten years.  I love Audrey Hepburn and have for a long time, probably dating from when I was a little girl and saw "My Fair Lady" the first time.  Her omnipresent mass popularity has sort of made her less eclectic and more commercial which hurts my snobby, elitist heart.  However there are many other loves which I like to think make my taste perhaps very mildly unique.

First, Tamara De Lempicka. A Polish art deco painter.


I would put this one on my wall.

Second, Katharine Hepburn.  Quite possibly one of the coolest women to ever breathe.  Try "Woman of the Year" or "The Philadelphia Story", two of my favorite films of all time.  

Then there is Dorothy Parker, whom I have loved since I read all her stories when I was seventeen.  My great aunt gave me a collection of her writings and I am forever indebted.  Go get yourself a copy, you won't regret it.

Slacks.  Everyone in fashion seems to be promoting high waists and belts, and I couldn't be happier.  I embrace the new craze and would like to add the reintroduction to slacks a la Katharine Hepburn herself.  There is nothing more feminine and flattering than a pair of well-fitting slacks.

Blossom Dearie.  An amazing jazz pianist and singer who was primarily popular in the 1950s and 60s as far as I'm aware.



No comments: